Good morning and thank you for joining us,
Light showers visited the South Plains overnight, but the real threat for Monday will be blowing dust and high winds.
- Winds speeds are expected to reach its peak late afternoon today, while temperatures are expected to reach a little above average highs for this time of year.
- Keep up with updated forecasts on the Weather section on the free KCBD app or check out our website for more details. Feel free to also check in with Steve Divine on his KCBD NewsChannel 11 Facebook page and follow him on Twitter.
Police continue to search for a suspect they believe was responsible for a shooting that landed one person in the hospital Sunday.
- The suspect is said to be a black male who was last seen wearing a navy jacket, standing at around 5 feet, 7 inches and weighs around 160 pounds.
- The shooting may have taken place at the Park Apartments in the 5700 block of 50th Street. The victim was brought to University Medical Center with moderate injuries via a private vehicle.
- KCBD’s Ana Orsini has the latest details at the News Now desk. More details can be found here: Gunshot victim brought to UMC, police searching for suspect
It has been three years since the gruesome murder of Holli Jeffcoat, an Idalou teen who was found dead in a home in 2016.
- Since her death, Jeffcoat’s stepfather, James Holland, pleaded guilty to capital murder and was given a life sentence without parole.
- Jeffcoat’s mother, Debbie Holland, is also charged with capital murder and is still awaiting trial.
- Read more details from KCBD’s Katie Main here: Mother still awaiting trial, 3 years after Holli Jeffcoat murder
The fight for another budget deal is looming in the air and the White House and Congress have until Friday to strike a deal in order to avoid another government shutdown.
- The biggest issue for Democrats and Republicans is the funding for a wall on the southern border of the United States. Officials with the White House have said they cannot eliminate the possibility of another shutdown, but hope to avoid it.
- If there is no deal figured out by Friday, White House officials will seriously consider the possibility of declaring a national emergency, which will allow the use of funds to construct the border wall.
- Read more extensive coverage from the Associated Press here: Budget negotiations hit snag as gov’t shutdown deadline approaches
Sunday night’s Grammys was an award show full of firsts as Childish Gambino took home the record and song of the year award with “This is America,” the first rap-based soundtrack to do so.
- Six women were nominated for best new artist and five of the eight album of the year nominees were women.
- Kacey Musgraves’ “Golden Hour” won album of the year and Dua, a British singer, won best new artist of the year.
- For a full rundown of the awards see our AP coverage here: Women win album of the year, best new artist while rap songs make history at the Grammy Awards