Good morning and thank you for joining us,
This morning on Daybreak Today, some Xcel Energy customers are still waiting for power to be restored after a series of storms swept through the South Plains Tuesday night into Wednesday morning.
- The Xcel Energy reported as of 9:30 p.m. Thursday about 12,500 customers were without power in the New Mexico and Texas area.
- Outages can be seen on the company’s outage map here.
Xcel also reported a lineman working near Hereford was killed during recovery efforts on Tuesday night.
- There are no details as to what caused the lineman’s death and his identity has not been made public.
- Read the full details here: Lineman killed near Hereford during repair operations
The Texas Tech men’s basketball team is one-and-done in the Big 12 Tournament after a loss to West Virginia in Kansas Thursday night.
- West Virginia upset Tech 79-74 in the quarterfinals of the tournament.
- Now the Red Raiders wait to find out where they will play during the NCAA Tournament. That decision will take place on Sunday.
- Here is a full rundown of last night’s game from Pete Christy: West Virginia upsets Red Raiders in Big 12 Quarterfinals
The Levelland Fire Department worked well into the night Thursday after a fire near its airport.
- Authorities report the fire was near a tank battery east of the airport.
- There were no injuries reported from the scene as of Thursday night.
- This story will be updated once details come in: Levelland Fire Department on scene of tank battery fire
Forty-nine people are dead after a mass shooting at two mosques in New Zealand Friday.
- The shootings were reported in Christchurch, New Zealand and the latest reports have an additional 20-plus people wounded.
- One person has been charged with murder and three others have been detained. Officials have not released the identity of any suspects.
- Explosive devices were also found at the scene, which is not being called a “carefully planned racist attack.”
- Read the latest details here: Mass shootings at New Zealand mosques kill 49; 1 man charged
For more news, local and national, stick with KCBD on its free app and website; just look in the News section.