Snyder PD officer still critical, suspect now named - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Snyder PD officer still critical, suspect now named

Image from MySpace Image from MySpace

Corporal Darrell Campbell remains in critical condition, but he is somewhat responsive and has started to breathe on his own. He is able to squeeze with his hand and is able to be more responsive with his right side of his body. There is still a lot of swelling and his eyes remain closed, but family and friends are keeping positive in prayer.

Snyder police say at 12:25 Tuesday morning Campbell and Officer Lee Ortiz responded to the 700 block of 26th street after a report of shots fired. Police say as the two officers were talking to a man, he pulled a gun and shot Campbell in the head.  Officer Ortiz then returned fire, killing the man.

"They did exactly what they should have done," said Lt. Brian Haggard with the Snyder Police Department. "Unfortunately someone died, but he did what he had to do."

We are told the suspect who was shot and killed is Dwayne Birmingham.

Just before 2 a.m. Tuesday, Campbell was airlifted to University Medical Center.  Just after 9 a.m., Snyder police said Campbell was out of surgery and in critical condition in the UMC Intensive Care Unit. Around 6 p.m. medical staff say Campbell was able to squeeze with his hand, but because of the swelling he wasn't able to open his eyes or talk.

The Snyder Police Chief is in Lubbock at UMC to support Campbell and his family.  Meanwhile other law enforcement agencies are offering to help . DPS confirms that Texas Rangers are helping in the investigation.

Snyder Police Department has also released this press statement:

On July 12th, 2011 at about 12:25AM officers with the Snyder Police Department were dispatched to the 700 block of 26th Street in reference to a call of shots fired in the area.  Cpl. Darrell Campbell and Officer Lee Ortiz responded to the area where they made contact with several individuals in a front yard of 700 26th Street.  While speaking with the subjects a male who was at the residence who has not been identified produced a weapon and shot Cpl. Campbell then confronted Officer Ortiz.  Officer Ortiz and the male were involved in a shooting and the male was killed at the scene.  Cpl. Campbell was flown to UMC in Lubbock where he under went surgery for a gunshot wound to the head.  As of this morning Cpl. Campbell is in the UMC ICU unit in critical condition.  

Cpl. Darrell Campbell is 41 years old and has been with the Snyder Police Department since September 1st, 2009. He is married with several children.

Officer Lee Ortiz is 37 years old and has been with the Snyder Police Department since October 23rd 2003. The case is currently being investigated by the Texas Ranger and the Snyder Police Department. Until the investigation is complete, Ortiz will stay on paid administrative leave - a standard procedure after an officer involved shooting.   

Stay tuned to KCBD NewsChannel 11, our Facebook page and for the latest updates.  You can also sign up for breaking news email alerts on the home page of 

Copyright 2011 KCBD NewsChannel 11.  All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly