LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Family dining tops off this week's list. We begin at Furr's Cafeteria at 2817 S. Loop 289. From home-style favorites, oven-baked breads and mouthwatering desserts... this buffet is winning over more than just the health department.
Located at 1711 Avenue K, this downtown hotspot for breakfast and lunch does it again. Cast Iron Grill cooks up another multiple repeat top performer.
Jason's Deli 4001 S. Loop 289 delivers another perfect score.
Zero is the lucky number, and that's how many critical violations health inspectors found once again at the Fortune Cookie Restaurant at 7006 University.
Get ready to satisfy that sweet tooth.
Daylight Donut at 2859 34th shines as a repeat top performer.
Sugarbakers at 4601 S. Loop 289 also bakes up a perfect score.
There's a new stop on this road to cure those cravings. Sweet Street Cupcakes at 4525 50th brings Texas size sweets to Lubbock.
Now to this week's low performers.
Chinese Kitchen at 5302 Slide Road had five critical violations.
* Cooked chicken did not cool in the allotted amount of time.
* Cold foods were not 41 degrees or below.
* Hot foods were not at least 135 degrees.
* A repairman was called during the inspection because the dish washer was not dispensing sanitizer.
* A knife was found between a metal rack and the refrigerator.
Lujan's at 10101 Slide had six critical violations.
* Food was not being cooled properly.
* Cold foods were above 41 degrees.
* Cooked chicken was not at least 135 degrees.
* An employee's uncovered drink was near food items.
* The inspector noted the risk for cross contamination because a measuring bowl was in a container of cooked chicken. A box of limes was between containers of raw chicken and raw beef.
* Food contact surfaces were dirty or broken.
The owner tells us, "everything was corrected while the inspector was there."
The report shows that as well.
She also says, "We are continuously committed to our food quality and restaurant cleanliness." She says, "We maintain a close relationship with our inspector," and adds, "We work toward improvements on a daily basis."
Copyright 2010 KCBD. All rights reserved.