ROPESVILLE, TX (KCBD) - A Ropesville family is staying in a Lubbock hotel after flames tore through their home on Tuesday. The fire gutted the home and killed two family pets. Although the family was not injured in the fire, all of their belongings were destroyed.
Firefighters were called out at about 5:00 a.m. to the 600 Block of Ellington Avenue in Ropesville. Heather McCollum, her fiancé Cody Dutton, her mother Louise Brashears and her four children were all in the home when the fire started. The Red Cross has placed them in a Lubbock hotel for three nights.
According to Heather, the police report states that it was an electrical fire that started in the attic. The Ropesville Police Department describes the house as not livable. Firefighters from Ropesville, Levelland and Smyer all responded. According to the Red Cross, there was not a working smoke detector in the home.
Heather tells KCBD NewsChannel 11 that a fund has been set up at People's Bank. She says that all of their belongings were destroyed in the fire. Clothes, shoes and other supplies are needed. The items can be dropped off at the First Baptist Church in Ropesville and donations can be taken to People's Bank and Ropes ISD. There is no word on where the family will stay after their three days in the hotel.
Heather - shirt size XXL, pants 18-20, shoes 9.5 or 10
Cody - shirt size XL or XXL, pants 36x34, shoes 10
Louise - clothes 2x, shoes 11
Tristan - Age 14, pants 16 slim, 14-16 size shirt, size 11 shoes
Lane - Age 12, pants 12 husky, large shirt, shoes 7.5
Gage - Age 10, pants 10 slim, medium shirt, shoes 7.5
Tehra - Age 3, clothes 3T
The Lubbock-based chapter of the American Red Cross has assisted 24 children and 34 adults in November with emergency help, mostly due to fires.
Copyright 2010 KCBD. All rights reserved.