LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The Davis family in Floydada needs your help after a fire took their home early April Fool's Day morning. This is the second time in two years the Davis' are left to pick up the pieces. A flood during a roofing job took their home two years ago.
They say the loss of their home confirms the need for everyone to have a smoke detector - saying it saved their lives. "My family stands here complete. We're whole. We're blessed."
Denny Davis and his wife woke up to the sound of a smoke detector around 2 a.m. on April Fool's Day."I told my wife to get the baby and I went and got the big girls out of bed and got them to the car. By the time, I could go back and get the diaper bag the whole house was filled with smoke," says Davis.
Davis says his home burned for nearly two hours.
"Anyone that has a big family with both parents work knows you come home take care of the kids, then you do your stuff, dishes, load of laundry and leave it in the dryer - they think that's what started the fire," adds Davis.
This house was built in 1910 by Terri Davis' great grandfather. The family says there were decades of history in the home.
Davis' 4-year-old, Malisce, knew that something bad happened and kept saying her house was broken."It broke last night. It was lellow and the roof came on top."
"If it was not for smoke detector waking us up none of the five of us wouldn't be here today," says Davis.
Despite the flood and the fire, this family of five says the Lord wouldn't give them something they couldn't handle. "Everything can be replaced I'm truly blessed."
If you would like to help the Davis family get back on their feet, you can make donations to the First Baptist Church in Floydada, or the Citizens National Bank in Crosbyton. Also next Saturday a benefit dance will be held in honor of the Davis family at the Crosbyton Volunteer Fire Station, April 11th at 7 p.m.
|get more>> Web Enhanced|
Wildfire Prevention Tips