Testimony begins in Logan capital murder trial - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Testimony begins in Logan capital murder trial

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Prosecutors say evidence presented during the first day of testimony in the Steven Tyler Logan capital murder trial, reveals a violent crime scene. 

Tyler left the courtroom just after 5 p.m. Monday following a full day of testimony. Jury members heard from co-workers who discovered the bodies of Vicki Logan, 52, and her mother Wanda Faye Turner, 73, back in January of 2006. They also heard from police investigators and saw the victims' battered bodies for themselves.

Co-workers went to Vicki Logan's home back in January of 2006, after she did not show up to work at a local insurance agency. It's the same story they told NewsChannel 11 just days after the discovery. "Just being on the scene, it was very traumatic and surreal. It felt like a foggy day," Bryan Scott told NewsChannel 11 in 2006. 

On Tuesday, he told the jury Steven-Tyler answered his mother's door that day. Scott says Logan told them his mother must be next door at his grandmother's home. Scott testified Logan entered Wanda Faye Turner's house, then came out saying they were inside and blood was everywhere.

Lubbock Police investigators also took the stand. One sergeant told jury members he felt Logan, 19-years-old at the time, was too calm for the situation, and that Logan never asked why authorities were detaining him. Prosecutors also presented around 250 photos of the scene.

The police investigator who took those shots says they reveal no forced entry from outside the home, but do show someone busted through Turner's bedroom door and forced entry into a bathroom where they say a violent struggle took place. Investigators say it also appears the victim's bodies may have been moved in the main hallway where they were discovered. They also suggested by the position of the bodies, one or both may have been restrained, though neither were not tied up upon discovery.

Once jury members were excused for the day, the judge heard a motion to suppress evidence from the defense. They argued a search of Logan's pick-up, parked outside the home may not have been legal.

During that hearing, prosecutors told the judge Logan had threatened violence against his mother before, and said Logan's grandmother may have wanted to cut him off financially. The suppression ruling and more testimony continues at the Lubbock County Courthouse Wednesday at 8:45 a.m.

Investigation Into Double Homicide In South Lubbock Continues
The medical examiner's office removed the bodies of two Lubbock women around 9:30pm. Both were found dead just after 2pm inside a home at 2711 80th Street.

Powered by Frankly