Wilcox trial: Day 2 wrap up - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Wilcox trial: Day 2 wrap up

Posted: Updated:

By Ann Wyatt Little  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Eleven witnesses testified in the federal kidnapping trial of Kenneth Wilcox including the three Lubbock children at the center of this case.

Jasmine Bazan and Lashawnda Theriac told jurors stories of Wilcox's friends scared them because they wanted to buy them and eat them. The girls told jurors that if they did not behave they would become sex slaves. Theriac told jurors she didn't ask for help because Wilcox was the adult and he was protecting them from "the bad guys."

Testimony from multiple witnesses helped piece together the moments leading up to when authorities found the children.

On Monday, October 27, 2008, Angel Contreras, Jasmine Bazan and Lashawnda Theriac knew they had just missed a day of school and told the court they all had asked to go home and Wilcox had a plan to do so. Part of the plan was to drop Lashawnda and Angel off at Wilcox's cousin's trailer.

Theriac told the court Wilcox picked Angel up and he crawled through a window and then opened the door. His cousin, Terry Keaton, did not know he was coming into town and told jurors he was surprised to see Lashawnda and Angel watching television in his home.

When he opened the door Lashawnda gave him a note, introduced into evidence, Wilcox had given to her. Wilcox told his cousin through a note that he and Jasmine went to fix a tire and get food and that they'd be back. Keaton told jurors he told the kids they had been kidnapped and that's when he called authorities in Oklahoma but Jasmine and Wilcox were still missing.

Wilcox drove Jasmine to his friend's house just across state lines in Arkansas where his friends told the court they had heard Wilcox was on television and he was wanted for kidnapping. When they told Wilcox this information they said he was shocked to learn he was a wanted man. His friends said Wilcox told them he had permission and that other two children were safe with their parents.

Before leaving their house, phone records and testimony indicate Wilcox's friend retrieved the Lubbock Police Department's phone number and gave it to Wilcox. There was testimony that he never called.

Bazan told jurors she spent Monday night alone with Wilcox in the tent in the woods and that if she had known she had to do that she wouldn't have wanted to go.

Testimony resumes Thursday at 8:30 a.m.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.