40% of cotton not planted, deadline approaching - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

5/31/09

40% of cotton not planted, deadline approaching

By James Clark | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Bad news for cotton farmers, which is actually bad news for everyone in Lubbock. Much of the cotton crop is at risk, because of dry conditions across the South Plains.

According to Texas A&M's "Focus On South Plains Agriculture," cotton is only 60 percent planted on the South Plains, which means the other 40 percent is at risk. Farmers in our area have a June 5th or June 10th crop insurance deadline depending on their location. So, time is running out.

Cotton is a $5 billion industry for the greater Lubbock area.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Look Up the Latest Rain Totals for the South Plains
Look up daily National Weather Service recorded rain totals for each county on the South Plains.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Officials: Weinstein to surrender in sexual misconduct probe

    Friday, May 25 2018 12:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 04:22:30 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 5:23 AM EDT2018-05-25 09:23:15 GMT
    (Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...(Photo by Chris Pizzello/Invision/AP, File). FILE - In this Jan. 8, 2017, file photo, Harvey Weinstein arrives at The Weinstein Company and Netflix Golden Globes afterparty in Beverly Hills, Calif. Law enforcement officials say Weinstein is expected to...

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

    Harvey Weinstein is expected to turn himself in to police in New York City early Friday following a seven-month investigation into sexual assault allegations.

  • Amazon: Echo device sent conversation to family's contact

    Amazon: Echo device sent conversation to family's contact

    Thursday, May 24 2018 5:52 PM EDT2018-05-24 21:52:19 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 5:22 AM EDT2018-05-25 09:22:59 GMT
    A woman says her Amazon device recorded a private conversation and sent it out to a random contact. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)A woman says her Amazon device recorded a private conversation and sent it out to a random contact. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)
    A woman says her Amazon device recorded a private conversation and sent it out to a random contact. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)A woman says her Amazon device recorded a private conversation and sent it out to a random contact. (AP Photo/Mark Lennihan, File)

    Amazon says an "unlikely" string of events prompted its Echo personal assistant device to record a Portland, Oregon, family's private conversation and then send the recording to an acquaintance in Seattle.

    Amazon says an "unlikely" string of events prompted its Echo personal assistant device to record a Portland, Oregon, family's private conversation and then send the recording to an acquaintance in Seattle.

  • $1 billion settlement awarded to rape victim

    $1 billion settlement awarded to rape victim

    Friday, May 25 2018 5:08 AM EDT2018-05-25 09:08:07 GMT
    Friday, May 25 2018 5:18 AM EDT2018-05-25 09:18:06 GMT
    Hope Cheston, who was raped by a security guard when she was a teenager, has been awarded a $1 billion verdict against the rapist's employer. (Source: WGCL/CNN)Hope Cheston, who was raped by a security guard when she was a teenager, has been awarded a $1 billion verdict against the rapist's employer. (Source: WGCL/CNN)

    A woman who was raped by a security guard when she was a teenager has been awarded a $1 billion verdict against the rapist's employer.

    A woman who was raped by a security guard when she was a teenager has been awarded a $1 billion verdict against the rapist's employer.

Powered by Frankly