Ingesting magnetic material or magnets can be extremely dangerous - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

6/25/09

Ingesting magnetic material or magnets can be extremely dangerous

Posted:
Source: New England Journal of Medicine Source: New England Journal of Medicine

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Ingesting magnetic material or magnets in the human body can be extremely dangerous.  

Take a look at these x-rays; the white objects are not supposed to be there and can be extremely dangerous to the human intestines. These images are from a 9-year-old boy and a 13-years-old boy who swallowed magnets.

While doctors say small objects that kids eat generally pass through their intestinal systems without a problem, magnets can be a very serious problem when ingested. Magnets end up sticking together, while twisting and even tearing the intestines and other tissue. Cases like these often require surgery to remove as was the case with these two boys.

The warning and these images are from this week's New England Journal of Medicine.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11.  All rights reserved.  This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.