Air-conditioning units cause electrical fire in Shallowater - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

7/9/09

Air-conditioning units cause electrical fire in Shallowater

By Ann Wyatt Little - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - An attic fire broke out shortly after 5 p.m. and the Shallowater community responded. Officials say the electrical fire started because a resident in the 1200 block of 9th Street was simply trying to stay cool in this heat wave. 

The Shallowater Fire Department responded to a call Thursday afternoon and after investigation, it was determined an electrical fire. "The temperature is up to 105 or 106 and the resident had three extra air conditioning units running," says Fire Chief Mackie Buck. The extra window units were too much for the house and the fire started in the attic. Chief Buck says there is water damage, smoke damage, and some damage where the fire started.

Firefighters fought the blaze in triple digit heat through layers of gear. "Very hot, not only hot, but you get heat exhaustion easily. You can't sweat and you're working hard," says Chief Buck.

After battling the blaze, the community helped the firefighters battle the heat. "We know the fireman and we know the man that lives in this house," says Dawn Parks, manager of the local FastStop convenience store. As soon as she heard about the blaze, she left for the scene. "We heard they were out here fighting this fire in the hot weather and decided to bring them water and Gatorade," she says.

They all say this call, like others, was a community effort. "Several of the residents brought water and our local store brought Gatorade. They care about us and want to make sure we're safe at the fire too," adds Chief Buck.

Chief Buck says with these temperatures if you have to use extra cooling units to be sure they are plugged into the outlets with the right connections and don't over load your home's system.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Avoiding Heat Exhaustion
Avoiding Heat Exhaustion
Beat the heat this summer with these tips.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Ford recalls 570K vehicles for fire risk, door latch trouble

    Ford recalls 570K vehicles for fire risk, door latch trouble

    Wednesday, March 29 2017 1:05 PM EDT2017-03-29 17:05:19 GMT
    Wednesday, March 29 2017 1:05 PM EDT2017-03-29 17:05:19 GMT

    Ford is recalling more than 440,000 vehicles in North America to fix problems that can cause engine fires and doors to open unexpectedly.

    Ford is recalling more than 440,000 vehicles in North America to fix problems that can cause engine fires and doors to open unexpectedly.

  • Civic Lubbock, Inc. call for entries for Lubbock Music NOW 2017

    Civic Lubbock, Inc. call for entries for Lubbock Music NOW 2017

    (Source: Civic Lubbock Inc.)(Source: Civic Lubbock Inc.)

    Civic Lubbock, Inc. announces the Call for Entries for Lubbock Music NOW 2017 to run April 1, 2017 through April 30, 2017.  Music artists in a 100-mile radius of Lubbock who have played gigs in the city in the last year are invited to help create an album for the year in music.

    Civic Lubbock, Inc. announces the Call for Entries for Lubbock Music NOW 2017 to run April 1, 2017 through April 30, 2017.  Music artists in a 100-mile radius of Lubbock who have played gigs in the city in the last year are invited to help create an album for the year in music.

  • Eaglet hatches on DC eagle cam

    Eaglet hatches on DC eagle cam

    Wednesday, March 29 2017 11:52 AM EDT2017-03-29 15:52:25 GMT
    Wednesday, March 29 2017 12:28 PM EDT2017-03-29 16:28:41 GMT

    The eagle has hatched. I repeat: The eagle has hatched.

    The eagle has hatched. I repeat: The eagle has hatched.

Powered by Frankly