Early morning shooting puts 3 men behind bars - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Early morning shooting puts 3 men behind bars

Edward Lee Source: MySpace Edward Lee Source: MySpace
Source: Lubbock Sheriff's Office Source: Lubbock Sheriff's Office
Source: Lubbock Sheriff's Office Source: Lubbock Sheriff's Office

By Katie Bauer  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - One Lubbock man remains in critical condition Friday after an early morning shooting.

Edward Lee, 22, was shot in the chest Friday morning following a car chase between Lee, his passenger and three men in a pickup truck. Police tell us it started at local pool hall Fast Eddie's at University and the Loop. Lee was leaving with a friend when he noticed the three men in a pickup truck.

Police tell us they were doing something to cause alarm to Lee so that's when he started to follow them.  Lee followed the pickup to 50th and University. That's when one of the three men in the pickup got out, and broke one of Lee's windows with his fist and then got back in the truck.

Lee continued to follow the pickup while calling police and giving the suspect's license plate number. "The individuals continued the altercation throughout the city, basically following each other and chasing each other down streets and throughout the city," said Captain Greg Stevens. 

Jordan Hendricks lives in the 1900 block of 71st and was woken up early Friday morning to some loud sounds. "I woke up at 2:30, I heard two gun shots. Kind of sounded like it was down the street," said Hendricks.

By the time Hendricks made it outside his house, he saw the victim, Edward Lee, who was shot in the torso, driving recklessly into his driveway towards his father's truck. "It tore my dad's car off the axle and everything. The wheels were over here on this side, but the front of his truck was still over here," said Hendricks.  

Hendricks says Lee, after being shot and still in his car, took off down the street about a block. "When he got out of the car, the cops helped him into the ambulance, and then he went down to the hospital," said Hendricks.

Lee remained on the phone with the 911 operator even after he was shot, so police were very close to the scene and officers were able to stop the pickup truck at 69th and Avenue W. "It was occupied by the three people that were eventually arrested. We did find a handgun in that vehicle. We have the handgun in custody right now," said Stevens.   

The three men in the truck, Philip Oxford, Justin Crouch, and Bobby Furr were arrested.

Hendricks says he has never witnessed something like this before. "Never, never on this street," said Stevens.

All three men in the pickup are behind bars at this time. We looked into the past records of the suspects, two of whom have a criminal history. In 1991, Furr was convicted of homicide in Tom Green County.  He served 13 years in prison and was paroled in 2004. Back in 2006 and 2007, Crouch was arrested for two separate assault charges - one for injury to a child in Midland County. Crouch also currently has an active arrest warrant for a weapons charge out of Washington State.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

KcbdToGo.com For Your Cell Phone
Get the latest news, weather, sports and more on your mobile phone or PDA with KCBDToGo.com.


Powered by Frankly