Kinney calls allegations of wrongdoing false - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

8/17/09

Kinney calls allegations of wrongdoing false

By Ben Lawson  - bio | email

LEVELLAND, TX (KCBD) - Four days after suspension from his duties as Hockley County Sheriff, David Kinney tells residents the allegations against him are not true, and he says he'll continue to fight for his reinstatement.

"I have so much to say, and I'm just amazed at what I have to say," Kinney said.  Kinney says he never thought he would have to call a news conference to deny allegations of wrongdoing, allegations that led to his suspension as sheriff Thursday afternoon.  "I had always done my job with honor, pride, and integrity, and I could not believe I had been so disgraced," Kinney said.

A civil complaint brought against Kinney by Hockley County Attorney Christopher Dennis accuses him of wrongful arrest, filing a false record, and incompetence in hiring and supervising employees.  "I would like to apologize for the evil that has come from my department," Kinney said.  He says he wish he'd known about activity that led to a federal drug bust in Levelland back on July 10th, that included the arrest of two of his deputies.  "People do make bad decisions in their lives, but for me to take responsibility for the other's decisions is crazy. I will open my eyes more and instead of me running this department alone, I will ask for more guidance from God," Kinney said.

As for the alleged wrongful arrest and false record, Kinney denies any wrongdoing.

"I think it's pulled the community apart," Carolyn Mulloy said.  She came to support Kinney Monday afternoon.  Mulloy says she feels he's been unfairly targeted. "I feel like he was part of a witch hunt; they were looking for something to get him for and they just hunted until they could find some little something," Mulloy said.

"Since they couldn't find any criminal wrong doing they switched to a civil action," Kinney said.

"I'm not going to comment on the evidence, but like I said, I think the petition speaks for itself," Hockley County Attorney Dennis told NewsChannel 11 on Thursday.

"The citizens of Hockley County elected me and they have a right to know where I stand. I'm not guilty of any of this," Kinney said.  A hearing in this case is scheduled for Monday, August 24th in Levelland.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

USA vs. Bobby Froman et al. Indictment 1 of 3

Read part 1 of the federal indictment against the 28 people involved in the Levelland drug bust.

Pro-Roy Moore group fundraises off Trump's near endorsement

Wednesday, November 22 2017 3:12 AM EST2017-11-22 08:12:08 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 3:34 PM EST2017-11-23 20:34:57 GMT

Trump, who won election despite facing more than a dozen accusations of sexual misconduct himself, is discounting accusations of sexual misconduct against Alabama Senate candidate Roy Moore, telling voters not to support his "liberal" rival.

Barton to go mum over disclosed photo, citing probe

Thursday, November 23 2017 1:12 AM EST2017-11-23 06:12:14 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 3:34 PM EST2017-11-23 20:34:44 GMT

A published report says U.S. Rep. Joe Barton of Texas told a woman to whom he had sent sexually explicit photos, videos and messages that he would report her to U.S. Capitol Police for exposing his behavior.

Macy's Thanksgiving parade revels on amid tight security

Thursday, November 23 2017 12:32 AM EST2017-11-23 05:32:23 GMT
    Thursday, November 23 2017 3:33 PM EST2017-11-23 20:33:27 GMT

The parade will feature heavy security, including officers with assault weapons and portable radiation detectors, sharpshooters on rooftops and sand-filled city sanitation trucks poised as barriers to traffic.