Police arrest suspect in second fatal hit and run accident in four days - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Police arrest suspect in second fatal hit and run accident in four days

By Brittany Pieper  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A Lubbock man died Wednesday morning after the second hit and run accident in just four days.

Tuesday night, police arrested 22-year-old Tony Darrell Lewis Jr. for public intoxication, but they suspected he was involved in the accident. Sure enough, the next morning police obtained warrants and arrested him for manslaughter and failure to stop and render aid in the accident.

Police say Lewis's car pinned and killed 47-year-old Ronald DeLeon last night. It happened just before 10 p.m. at the Two Brothers Car Wash at Zenith and Parkway.  DeLeon stood near a pickup truck at the car wash when police say Tony Lewis crashed into him, pinning him between his truck and Lewis's blue Ford Crown Victoria. Lewis then fled the scene on foot.

"The investigation revealed that one vehicle was driving erratically in the parking lot of the car wash and ran into a parked vehicle trapping the victim between the two vehicles," said Lt. Neal Barron. 

EMS transported DeLeon to University Medical Center where he died a few hours later.

"They had a pretty good idea of who they were looking for," said Barron. After talking to people in the area, police pinpointed Lewis as a possible suspect. They found him a little after midnight as a result of a disturbance at 100 Redbud Ave. where they arrested him for public intoxication.

While in holding, police were able to obtain warrants and charge Lewis with manslaughter and failure to stop and render aid. Three passengers rode in Lewis's car, but police cannot say yet if they face any charges. Investigators say it does not appear as though the two men knew each other.

Wednesday afternoon, DeLeon's grandchildren and other loved ones created a memorial with flowers, balloons, and a stuffed animal at the 2 Bros Car Wash where DeLeon suffered his injuries.

Through tears, they all remembered DeLeon and said they would miss him. "We will always think of him, and that he is in a better place.  He's with God, and he's with his mom and dad," said Maraih DeLeon, the victim's granddaughter. "He said that he was gonna help me take care of me and my kids and then this happened," cried Joanne Caballero, the victim's girlfriend.

Police currently have 22-year-old Tony Lewis in custody for manslaughter and failure to stop and render aid.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

get more>> Web Enhanced
Blood Donation Questions and Answers
"Giving the Gift of Life" is quick, easy, and relatively painless. Here are the answers to some questions donors often ask.
Powered by Frankly