Food for Thought Report 8.27 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Food for Thought Report 8.27

By Christy Moreland  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - "Firehouse Subs was founded by actual firemen in 1996. There's about 400 restaurants nationwide," owner Ollie Wilkins said.

And their rookie location at 411 University, open just less than two weeks, finds itself at the top of the ladder heating up the Food for Thought list. "It feels great! It's something we take very seriously. We want to make our place the cleanest place in Lubbock, TX you can come in to eat for every patron who walks through the door."

And when you walk back out that door, you can only blame yourself if you're still hungry, "We serve huge portion sandwiches. We steam the meat and cheese so it comes out toasty, comes out moist, come out the best sandwich you'll have."

Next we head to a repeat top performer. Apple Tree Cafe & Bakery at 3501 50th whips up a perfect score.

Taco Villa at 8212 Indiana also finds itself at the top of the list, again.

And finally, if you feel like doing the cooking yourself, the bakery, grocery, meat and produce departments inside the United at 401 Slide were flawless.

get more>> Web Enhanced 8/27/09
Food for Thought 8.27
Here is a complete list of the restaurants and their violations for the week ending on 8/27/09.

This week's first low performer, Carino's Italian Kitchen at 6821 Slide, was cited for six critical violations.

  • Raw shrimp, chicken and vegetables were above the safe cold temperature of 41 degrees.
  • Sinks that are for hand washing only had food in them.
  • There were no hand towels at the hand sink.
  • Employees handled ready to eat foods with their bare hands.
  • Several utensils in the kitchen were dirty, and there was mold in the coke machine nozzles.
  • Finally, there was no Heimlich chart in the facility.

Management says all violations were corrected. The report shows that as well.

Inspectors found seven critical violations inside Lin's Buffet at 5608 Slide.

  • Egg rolls were thrown out because they were at the wrong temperature.
  • There was no soap in the employees' bathroom or at the kitchen hand sink. There were no hand towels at the hand sink, which an employee was using to wash dishes.
  • Uncovered drinks were on or above food contact surfaces.
  • The inspector saw multiple dead or dying cockroaches in the dry storage area and numerous flies in the grill area.
  • Toxic items were next to spices and cups.
  • Dishes were not being properly sanitized.
  • Multiple items in the kitchen were dirty including a meat slicer with dried meat particles stuck to it and a can opener that was heavily soiled.

Management was not available for comment, but the report shows all violations were corrected during the inspection.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly