On Thursday the cleanup continued in Slaton after a toxic chemical spill at the Poole Chemical Company on Wednesday. A half million gallon tank of fertilizer collapsed, it ruptured an ammonia line sending a cloud of lethal gas into the air.
Emergency crews evacuated an area within a half mile radius of the leak. Firefighters suppressed the ammonia cloud with water until a Hazmat crew was able to go in and shut off the valve. No one was hurt.
Slaton Police say the fertilizer that spilled is not dangerous and will be vacuumed up and salvaged.
1/30/03Clean Up Continues After Chemical Spill In SlatonMore>>