Lubbock's Looking For More Water - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

1/30/03

Lubbock's Looking For More Water

Lubbock city leaders are looking into the future. They want to make sure Lubbock has enough water to last us a long time, up to 100 years. Right now, Lubbock has supply to last 40 years and then after that, there are no guarantees, and that concerns city leaders.

Lubbock City Councilman Gary Boren wants to keep water flowing into Lubbock, but if Lake Meredith's water levels keep dropping, Boren says Lubbock needs to rely on more water from some place else. "We will look at every aspect of water including conservation to plan for the ample supply of water for the community for 75-100 years in front of us."

According to the Canadian River Authority, Lake Meredith is at 24% capacity. 80% of our water comes from Lake Meredith, the other 20% of our water comes from water wells in Bailey County, near Muleshoe.

In order to pull water from Lake Alan Henry, which is intended for future water supply, the city will need to lay pipeline from post to Lubbock and a pumping station to push the water up hill. That could cost the city $140 million or more to do that. "We're looking for ways to see if there's any infrastructure and water rights if possible and working through other water legislative involving Lake Alan Henry," says Boren.

These concerns were taken to the legislative session earlier this week. That's where councilman Boren found out every major city in Texas wants more water, so it's important for Lubbock to start now securing future water supply. Until Lubbock can secure the funding for the pipeline at Lake Alan Henry the city is thinking about selling the water to towns in need and then putting that money in a water fund.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Judge accused of abusing, berating defendants

    Judge accused of abusing, berating defendants

    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:20 AM EDT2018-04-21 11:20:28 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:20 AM EDT2018-04-21 11:20:28 GMT
    Judge Merrilee Ehrlich has stepped down after being accused of berating defendants. (Source: WSVN/CNN)Judge Merrilee Ehrlich has stepped down after being accused of berating defendants. (Source: WSVN/CNN)

    A judge accused of "aggressive and tyrannical" behavior has stepped down from the bench.

    A judge accused of "aggressive and tyrannical" behavior has stepped down from the bench.

  • 4 Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in Gaza border protest

    4 Palestinians killed by Israeli fire in Gaza border protest

    Saturday, April 21 2018 1:44 AM EDT2018-04-21 05:44:10 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:24 AM EDT2018-04-21 11:24:35 GMT
    (AP Photo/Adel Hana). Palestinian protesters evacuate a wounded youth during clashes with Israeli troops along Gaza's border with Israel, east of Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Friday, April 20, 2018. Thousands of Palestinians joined the fourth weekly protes...(AP Photo/Adel Hana). Palestinian protesters evacuate a wounded youth during clashes with Israeli troops along Gaza's border with Israel, east of Khan Younis, Gaza Strip, Friday, April 20, 2018. Thousands of Palestinians joined the fourth weekly protes...

    Gaza health officials say 4 Palestinians, including 15-year-old boy, killed by Israeli army fire as thousands join fourth weekly protests on Gaza border.

    Gaza health officials say 4 Palestinians, including 15-year-old boy, killed by Israeli army fire as thousands join fourth weekly protests on Gaza border.

  • FAA orders more engine inspections after Southwest accident

    FAA orders more engine inspections after Southwest accident

    Friday, April 20 2018 4:53 PM EDT2018-04-20 20:53:41 GMT
    Saturday, April 21 2018 7:09 AM EDT2018-04-21 11:09:22 GMT
    (NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...(NTSB via AP). National Transportation Safety Board investigators examine damage to the engine of the Southwest Airlines plane that made an emergency landing at Philadelphia International Airport in Philadelphia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018. The Southwes...
    The manufacturer of the jet engine involved in a fatal Southwest Airlines accident Tuesday wants more jets to be inspected for potential problems.
    The manufacturer of the jet engine involved in a fatal Southwest Airlines accident Tuesday wants more jets to be inspected for potential problems.
Powered by Frankly