Reaction to the President's School Speech - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

9/7/09

Reaction to the President's School Speech

By Katie Bauer - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - On Tuesday at school many students nationwide will be tuning in for a special message by President Barack Obama.

"I think it's pretty good," said Robert Arrendondo after reading the speech.

The transcript was released to the public on Monday after a lot of concerns surfaced that the President was going to push a political message.

Local school districts will not air the speech live but a recorded version will be available for teachers to use.

"I think they should, I read it and it's got a good message, said Arrendondo.

Francisco Reyes wanted to make sure there wasn't a political message before his two grade school sons heard the speech.

"I feel pretty good now, I hope he just does the right thing by going out there and talking to the students and not put other stuff in their head that's not suppose to be there," said Reyes.

Throughout the President's school address he encourages students to stay in school, set high standards, and not to give up on their dreams.

In the speech it states "Every single one of you has something you're good at. Every single one of you has something to offer. And you have responsibility to yourself to discover what that is. That's the opportunity an education can provide."

Only one section raised an eyebrow for Judy Horvith.

"When he talks about quitting school that quitting school might mean quitting your country so I think some people might construe that as a bit far-fetched," said Horvith.

But overall a message that she believes should be heard.

"It's a kind of inspirational message that I think needs to get to young kids, and older kids, and college kids, I think its inspirational for me and I have a PhD and I still find it inspirational," said Horvith.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

9/7/09

President Obama's School Speech Video included

Read the President's school speech and then vote in our online poll.

California university won't punish professor who jeered Bush

Tuesday, April 24 2018 10:27 PM EDT2018-04-25 02:27:20 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 1:02 AM EDT2018-04-25 05:02:22 GMT
    Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter) Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter)Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter) Jarrar doubled down on her position in later tweets and even boasted "I will never be fired." (Source: @RandaJarrar/Twitter)

A California State University, Fresno professor who called Barbara Bush "an amazing racist" and cheered her death won't be punished.

For the first time, Facebook spells out what it forbids

Tuesday, April 24 2018 5:46 AM EDT2018-04-24 09:46:09 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:54 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:54:02 GMT
    (AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this March 29, 2018, file photo, the logo for Facebook appears on screens at the Nasdaq MarketSite in New York's Times Square. For the first time, Facebook is making public, on Tuesday, April 24, its detailed gu...(AP Photo/Richard Drew, File). FILE - In this March 29, 2018, file photo, the logo for Facebook appears on screens at the Nasdaq MarketSite in New York's Times Square. For the first time, Facebook is making public, on Tuesday, April 24, its detailed gu...

For the first time, Facebook spells out how it decides whether to delete your posts.

Texas man sentenced to 50 years for $1.2M theft of fajitas

Monday, April 23 2018 2:18 PM EDT2018-04-23 18:18:31 GMT
    Wednesday, April 25 2018 12:41 AM EDT2018-04-25 04:41:38 GMT
    The Brownsville Herald reports Gilberto Escamilla told the court the fajita scheme spun out of control. (Source: gaudiikari/Wikicommons)The Brownsville Herald reports Gilberto Escamilla told the court the fajita scheme spun out of control. (Source: gaudiikari/Wikicommons)

A Texas man has been sentenced to 50 years in prison for stealing $1.2 million worth of fajitas over nine years.