LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - At about 10:30 p.m. Friday night 30-fire fighters battled a blaze in the Rush neighborhood. Flames broke out at 4611 18th Street.
Fire crews arrived on scene and began an aggressive interior attack. Then, heat conditions got worse and crews had to evacuate the house. "It's what we call flashover conditions. It's where the heat spikes very rapidly; the heat is moving to the floor very rapidly, and so what it essentially does is it pushes you to the floor as a fire fighter. In those conditions it's time to exit the building," said Deputy Fire Chief, Chris Angerer.
That's when crews called in a second alarm. Angerer says flames shoot through the roof and caused a partial collapse. They had the fire contained in about an hour, but remained on scene until after midnight dousing hot spots.
Two people lived at the home. Fortunatley they were not there at the time and no injuries were reported.
Saturday, the Fire Marshal's Office tells NewsChannel 11 the blaze started around a recently installed dishwasher, so they believe the fire was electrical in nature.
©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Learn more about the South Plains Regional Chapter of the American Red Cross. More>>