Covenant Health System has second round of layoffs - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

10/1/09

Covenant Health System has second round of layoffs

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Covenant Health System began a second round of layoffs affecting 48 people within the company. These layoffs come nearly a week after Covenant administrators accepted 96 voluntary employee resignations.

Of the 48 positions that were eliminated, 80% of them were in management and administration. The remaining 20% were other various positions including clinical and lab workers. Covenant stresses that there were no Registered Nurses in this group.

With these layoffs, Covenant plans on saving $7 million annually due to the eliminated positions. Covenant says the layoffs are attributed to the rising costs of healthcare and the nation's current economic state.

NewsChannel 11 sat down with Covenant's Interim CEO Jim Houser about the latest round of layoffs and he gave us this response, "The other thing that's happening is we wanted to make sure we were right sized not only for the environment we are focusing on now, but there is no question there is going to be major change in health care as a result of the National Reform Movement and we wanted to be ahead of that."

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11.  All rights reserved.  This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Covenant to announce layoffs

...The city's largest private employer is about to announce layoffs . However, employees have the chance to make some money if ......17th deadline to take up the offer. Certain departments of Covenant are not eligible.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Deduction targeted by GOP used by tax filers in most states

    Deduction targeted by GOP used by tax filers in most states

    Saturday, November 18 2017 9:53 AM EST2017-11-18 14:53:09 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 9:23 AM EST2017-11-19 14:23:22 GMT

    Residents of high-tax states would be affected most by the GOP's plan to eliminate or reduce the deduction for state and local taxes, but the change also could affect millions of other filers, including some in...

    Residents of high-tax states would be affected most by the GOP's plan to eliminate or reduce the deduction for state and local taxes, but the change also could affect millions of other filers, including some in Republican-led states.

  • Moore critic: Alabama Senate race a battle for nation's soul

    Moore critic: Alabama Senate race a battle for nation's soul

    Friday, November 17 2017 11:39 PM EST2017-11-18 04:39:35 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 9:22 AM EST2017-11-19 14:22:48 GMT

    GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore's wife is standing by her embattled man, and she has gathered other Alabama women to his cause _ but not everyone is sticking with him.

    GOP Senate candidate Roy Moore's wife is standing by her embattled man, and she has gathered other Alabama women to his cause _ but not everyone is sticking with him.

  • US general says illegal nuclear launch order can be refused

    US general says illegal nuclear launch order can be refused

    Saturday, November 18 2017 6:09 PM EST2017-11-18 23:09:48 GMT
    Sunday, November 19 2017 5:21 AM EST2017-11-19 10:21:55 GMT

    The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command says an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

    The top officer at U.S. Strategic Command says an order from President Donald Trump or any of his successors to launch nuclear weapons can be refused if that order is determined to be illegal.

Powered by Frankly