House fire kills Lorenzo woman - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

10/2/09

House fire kills Lorenzo woman

By Brittany Pieper  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A fire took the life of a retired special education teacher in Lorenzo Friday morning. Crews said by the time they got to the fire at 110 N. Van Buren at about 10:30 Friday morning the home was already engulfed in smoke and flames.

Francis Dominguez received a call about a fire on her street. "I ran over here thinking it was my home, but it wasn't my house. It was my neighbor's house," she said.  61-year-old Rita Crelia lived at the home that caught fire and was not able to get out as the fire destroyed her home.

"There were just flames coming up from behind her house especially. They were pretty high up over the house," said Dominguez. 

The Fire Marshal's Office says they believe a cigarette caused the fire. "Probably the result of a discarded cigarette, maybe a dropped cigarette or something," said Kelly Vandygriff. 

The family told fire officials Crelia smoked heavily and used an oxygen tank because of medical problems. The fire started in the back of the house which quickly filled with smoke.

"There wasn't a lot of smoke getting out so the house is basically super charging with smoke. Then, when they had forced entry in the structure and introduced the oxygen it just kind of fanned the fuel and made the fire burn pretty good, and it spread throughout the house," said Vandygriff. 

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Making a Kit for an Emergency Situation

When preparing for a possible emergency situation, it's best to think first about the basics of survival: fresh water, food, clean air and warmth.

 

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Oldham Co. fire is 100 percent contained

    Oldham Co. fire is 100 percent contained

    Friday, March 24 2017 5:43 PM EDT2017-03-24 21:43:36 GMT

    Much-needed rain helped firefighters and officials now say the fire in Oldham County is 100 percent contained.

    Much-needed rain helped firefighters and officials now say the fire in Oldham County is 100 percent contained.

  • Trump OKs Keystone pipeline, calling it 'great day' for jobs

    Trump OKs Keystone pipeline, calling it 'great day' for jobs

    Friday, March 24 2017 5:39 PM EDT2017-03-24 21:39:10 GMT
    Friday, March 24 2017 5:39 PM EDT2017-03-24 21:39:10 GMT
    Senior U.S. officials say the Trump administration will approve the Keystone XL pipeline on Friday, ending years of delay for a project that has served as a flashpoint in the national debate about climate change.
    Senior U.S. officials say the Trump administration will approve the Keystone XL pipeline on Friday, ending years of delay for a project that has served as a flashpoint in the national debate about climate change.
  • Producers focus on long-term recovery following wildfires

    Producers focus on long-term recovery following wildfires

    Friday, March 24 2017 5:32 PM EDT2017-03-24 21:32:38 GMT

    Area producers are beginning to focus on long-term recovery plans after wildfires devastated more than 480,000 acres across the Texas Panhandle earlier this month.

    Area producers are beginning to focus on long-term recovery plans after wildfires devastated 480,000 acres across the Texas Panhandle earlier this month.    

Powered by Frankly