Food for Thought Report 10.29 - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Food for Thought Report 10.29

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - There was a plethora of perfection on the Food for Thought plate this week. All the following restaurants had perfect scores.

  • Aloha BBQ Grill at 9810 Indiana
  • Bigham's Smokehouse at 3312 82nd
  • Dickey's B-B-Q Pit at 5217 98th
  • Klemke's Bar B Q Joint at 7822 82nd
  • Carino's Italian Kitchen at 6821 Slide
  • Harrigan's at 3827 50th
  • Caprock Café at 3405 34th
  • Caprock Café at 5217 82nd
  • Lubbock Country Club at 3400 Mesa Road
  • Home Café at 3131 34th
  • Hibbard's Pour House Sport Grill/Bar at 2812 4th
  • Jason's Deli at 4001 S. Loop 289
  • McAlister's Deli at 4210 82nd
  • Quiznos Subs at 3207 50th
get more>> Web Enhanced 10/29/09
Food for Thought 10.29
Here is a complete list of the restaurants and their violations for the week ending on 10/29/09.

Now to this week's low performers. Lin's Buffet at 5608 Slide Road had eight critical violations.

  • Raw chicken and shrimp were not 41 degrees or below.
  • Chicken was stored above shrimp in a cooler - which poses the risk for cross contamination.
  • An employee handled vegetables with their bare hands.
  • There was no soap at a hand sink.
  • A bottle of bleach was in a hand sink. Cough syrup was above food contact surfaces.
  • Toxic items were not labeled.
  • There was no thermometer in a cooler.
  • Multiple food contact surfaces were dirty or broken.

According to the report all violations were corrected during the inspection.

Manila Café at 4917 34th Street was also cited for eight critical violations.

  • Tomatoes and eggs were thrown out after sitting at room temperature.
  • A box of butter was thrown out after it was found in a puddle of brown water. Uncooked rice with black specks in it was also tossed.
  • Dried out melon and green peppers did not have a date mark. They were also discarded.
  • Raw shrimp was in a hand wash sink. Employees' drinks were on a prep table. Two curling irons, a hairbrush and a mirror were on food contact surfaces.
  • A dead cockroach was found in the freezer.
  • Shelves in a refrigerator were heavily soiled as were wire shelves.
  • Unwrapped fish and other unidentifiable pieces of meat were in numerous unmarked plastic grocery bags in a deep freeze.
  • The report states that although a certified food manager was at the restaurant, by the state of the kitchen and the food in the kitchen it is clear that safe food handling practices are not clearly understood or being followed.

The report shows most violations were corrected while the inspector was there.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11.  All rights reserved.  This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly