2 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 cup yellow onion, diced
1/2 cup bell pepper, diced
1/2 cup celery, diced
2 Tbsp dark roux
1 tablespoons minced garlic
2 cups crushed tomatoes
2 bay leaves
1 Tablespoon thyme leaves
2 qt water
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 pound shrimp, 70/90ct
1/2 pound, Turkey Tasso, diced
3c Brown rice
1/4 cups green onion, chopped (optional
1. Saute onions, celery, garlic and bell pepper in olive oil until clear on med high heat
2. Add tasso and cook for a few minutes
Add roux and cook until melted.
3. Add tomato paste and crushed tomatoes. Whisk until smooth.
4. Add shrimp base, bay leaves, thyme and pepper,
5. Add 3 gal. of water and whisk until smooth.
6. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to med and let simmer for 1 hour.
7. Add seafood and cook for 10 min
8. Add rice and stir well. Reduce heat to low, cover and let simmer for 30 - 45 min stirring occasionally. Adding water if needed.
9. Once rice is cooked fold in green onions
Prepared by Jason LeBouef, Executive Chef at Christus-St. Patrick Hospital, for the American Heart Association