Name of Shallowater fire victim not yet released - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Name of Shallowater fire victim not yet released

SHALLOWATER (KCBD) - The State Fire Marshal's office says the fire that claimed the life of a Shallowater woman Friday afternoon was an accident. 

The State Fire Marshall's Office wrapped up it's investigation shortly after 7 p.m. Friday and said the fire was caused by unsafe smoking habits. They aren't entirely sure if it was a match or a cigarette butt that caused the blaze but it started in a back bedroom.  

"Shallowater received call for structure fire at 3pm this afternoon," says West Carlisle Fire Chief Tim Smith.

Thirty firefighters from Shallowater and West Carlisle responded. Neighbors say crews rushed to get inside. "The fireman came, busted out windows, and that's when we saw flames," says neighbor Cynthia Hernandez.

They fought the flames for nearly an hour. "When I walked outside I saw lot of smoke. Neighbors outside, that looks like who called," added Hernandez.

The blaze began in the southeast bedroom where crews discovered the victim. "We have confirmed one fatality, deceased on arrival," said Chief Smith.

Fire Chief Smith says there was only one person inside the house and that crews were able to contain most the damage to the back of the house.  "Heavy damage to two rooms, a lot of debris everywhere. It should take a while to sift through it to see what happened here," said Chief Smith.

The State Fire Marshalls Office spent about three hours after the flames were out collecting evidence and taking pictures of the scene. They say this fire was an accident, and the cause - unsafe smoking habits.

The name and age of the victim has not yet been released. The Medical Examiner's Office says an autopsy is scheduled for Monday.

©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly