Carbon monoxide poisoning may lead to death if unnoticed - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Carbon monoxide poisoning may lead to death if unnoticed

By Kristin Beerman | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – You can't see or smell carbon monoxide, but it's a gas that sends 15,000 people to the emergency room every year in this country.  Too much exposure can cause brain damage, even death.  On our news at five, Dr. Juan Fitz, an emergency room physician, warned us that as we brace for more cold weather, every home should be equipped with a working carbon monoxide detector and every family should know the signs of possible exposure.  

"Some of the symptoms are headache, dizziness, nausea, kind of sounds like the flu, so you kind of have to be careful about that though and you have to have a high suspicion there's carbon monoxide poisoning," said Juan Fitz, M.D., who specializes in emergency medicine at Covenant.  "When there's more than one person involved you more or less start thinking of that though, but if you're by yourself, you're just going to blow it off and say I've got the flu, and go to headaches, body aches, nausea, dizzy, sounds like the flu."

Dr. Fitz said you've got to be careful every year and have your carbon monoxide monitors checked.  He said it is very important, especially now because of the cold weather, people aren't going outside, they're closing all their windows and having their heaters on full blast.

If you think you might have a carbon monoxide problem, call the fire department and they will set up a time for someone to check your house at no charge.  Fire officials have said if a carbon monoxide detector ever goes off in your home, dial 911.  For more information please call the fire department at (806) 775-2635.

©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11.  All rights reserved.  This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly