Fire kills family pets and leaves residents homeless - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

1/6/10

Fire kills family pets and leaves residents homeless

Posted:

By Ben Lawson  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Fire investigators blame an overnight house fire in central Lubbock on an unattended candle. Fire crews were called to the scene near 21st Street and Akron Avenue around 11:00 p.m. Tuesday. 

Three people lived in the home, but were not there when the flames broke out. They told our video journalist on the scene they had to leave quickly due to a family emergency, and in the rush accidentally left a candle burning.

Investigators say three pets kenneled inside, a dog, cat, and rabbit, were killed in the blaze. "Bad things can happen if you have candles going. Candles aren't always bad, but never leave them unattended if you leave the house," Inspector Brent Smith with the Lubbock Fire Marshal's Office said. 

One of the resident broke-down when he arrived home. He became so upset, first responders had to take him to the hospital.

A fourth family pet escaped the blaze, and returned home once things settled down, but investigators say the home is a total loss.

©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.