Unattended candle destroys home and kills three animals - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

1/6/10

Unattended candle destroys home and kills three animals

Posted:

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Fire investigators blame an unattended candle for an overnight fire in Central Lubbock.

Fire fighters arrived at the house near 21st and Akron around 11:00 p.m. on Tuesday night. The three people living there, two of them Tech students, were not at home when the fire started.

They left in a hurry for a family emergency, accidentally leaving the candle lit. Investigators say the home is destroyed and the three pets inside did not survive.

"We had three animals die in this house today, one was a rabbit, a dog, and a cat and they didn't make it. Luckily one of the dogs was in the back yard so it got away and it came back, the owners got to reunite with it," says Brent Smith, Fire Marshal Investigator.

One of the residents was rushed to the hospital after he had a seizure when he arrived on the scene.

Coming up on NewsChannel 11 at 6, you'll hear from a resident and what they are going to do next after this tragedy.

©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by WorldNow

5600 Avenue A
Lubbock, TX. 79404

FCC Public File
publicfile@kcbd.com
806-744-1414
EEO Report
Closed Captioning

All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KCBD. All Rights Reserved.
For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.