By Tiffany Pelt - email
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Fire investigators blame an unattended candle for destroying a central Lubbock home Tuesday night. Fire crews rushed to the home near 21st and Akron around 11 p.m., but investigators say it was a total loss.
"All my stuff is gone, and that's pretty much from a candle, a candle lit the whole place," said resident Chris Lambert.
Lambert, with sister Chelsea and a third roommate, David Ryberg left their home in a hurry, forgetting to blow out the candle. "I got a call saying go to the hospital it's an emergency. I found out my grandma was dead and while I was at the hospital I got a call from the fire department saying my house was on fire so I rushed back home," Chris Lambert.
By the time he got there it was too late. "Insane thoughts are going through my head right now. I have a seizure disorder so all last night the shock put me in seizures," said Chris Lambert. After arriving at the house, Lambert began to have a seizure and was rushed to the hospital.
His dog that was in the bedroom where the candle was lit, and his sisters rabbit and cat didn't survive the fire. The fourth pet, a dog, escaped and later returned to the home to reunite with its owner.
Everything else was destroyed. Nothing but black ash and charred belongings remain in the room where the fire started. All the furniture, electronics, and clothes in the other rooms were also destroyed by the flames or were ruined by smoke damage.
Now the Lamberts are doing their best to cope, not only with the loss of their grandmother, but their pets and home as well. "We'll I've been staying with my aunt, stayed their last night, but I'm looking for a place now. Just have to move on," said Chris Lambert.
For those wishing to help out, a fund has been set up. Monetary donations can be made at any local Wells Fargo Bank in the name of Chris and Chelsea Lambert and David Ryberg.
©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.