LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A young man is dead after an early morning fire in North Lubbock and the Lubbock Fire Marshall's Office says sadly this tragic death could have been prevented.
"My first instinct was to try to help," says Erica Guerra who shortly before 4 a.m. Sunday woke up to screams. She and her husband took off running across the street. The CPR certified medical assistant tried to help her neighbor but it was too late. "I helped pull the victim out and I felt for a pulse and I began doing CPR on him and I couldn't revive him. He was unconscious and that is when EMS took over from there," says Guerra.
Crews arrived on the scene to find the house full of smoke and quickly extinguished the blaze. The Lubbock Fire Marshall's Office believes the victim turned on the gas stove and had every intention of cooking something but went into the bedroom and fell asleep. No one else was inside the house.
"We didn't see flames. It was just a lot of smoke, thick smoke," adds Guerra about the scene she saw across the street from her house who says her whole neighborhood was outside Sunday morning.
The Fire Marshall's Office says there is little damage to the house from the actual fire and that it was most likely the smoke that killed the victim.
Guerra says her home and the victim's family's were two of the first built in the North Lubbock Habitat for Humanity neighborhood. The house on Duke Street had multiple smoke detectors, but firefighters say they had been disabled at some point before Sunday's fire.
"It's scary and I feel for the family, they are good people," says Guerra about her neighborhood's loss.
The victim's name has not been released yet.
©2009 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.