Investigators say electric blanket sparked morning fire - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Investigators say electric blanket sparked morning fire

By Ben Lawson  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A Lubbock man salvaged what he could Wednesday afternoon. Flames tore through his home near 26th Street and Avenue P just after 3 a.m. 

Early reports indicated the homeowner might been inside, but authorities later located him at a home up the street.  Noe Garcia tells us he just can't believe it happened. He received a call around 3:30 a.m. from Lubbock Police saying his home was engulfed in flames.

Garcia arrived on scene to see the place he's called home for the past five years destroyed. It took four teams to douse the flames. At one point, part of the roof collapsed. Fortunately, no one was inured.

Investigator Ross Alexander with the Lubbock Fire Marshal's Office tells us it appears the fire was accidental, sparked by an electric blanket. "I believe he left the electric blanket on for his dog," Alexander said. 

"My black lab, his name is Black Jack. He was in the house. I keep the backdoor open for him to come in and out, so he was alright. I don't know where he is right now. Somebody has him, but hopefully someone will bring him back to me," Garcia said. 

"With the colder weather coming up and with everybody trying to stay warm, watch your heat producing appliances, electric blankets, your heaters, space heaters. Everybody has to stay warm; that's just part of it," Garcia said. 

"I just can't believe it happened, but I don't know what to say. I just can't believe it, that's all," Garcia said.  He tells us he does have insurance, but he does ask that if anyone has see his black Lab, please give him a call at (806) 470-6976.

©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Powered by Frankly