City defends zapping woman 20 times with taser - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

2/7/10

City defends zapping woman 20 times with taser

By James Clark | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Lubbock defends itself from the most recent taser-related lawsuit in federal court. 

On January 14th NewsChannel 11 reported that Belinda Ann Sarabia sued the city for excessive use of a taser on her. She claims that police officer Sadie Hockenberry used excessive force by tasing her more than 20 times during a September 2009 traffic stop. Sarabia claims she was unlawfully ordered to get out of her car, and was tased repeatedly for not getting out. Sarabia claims she never threatened the officer and therefore the taser was excessive force. 

Last week the city told its side of the story in court records. "The City of Lubbock ... pleads by way of affirmative defense that the actions of Officer Hockenberry were reasonable and that Plaintiff's rights were not violated." The city says Sarabia violated the law by not following the officer's directions and therefore using the taser was reasonable.

©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • UK deploys 1,000 soldiers to protect key sites after bombing

    UK deploys 1,000 soldiers to protect key sites after bombing

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:46 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:46:39 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:46 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:46:39 GMT

    The government Tuesday night raised the threat to "critical", its highest level, following an emergency Cabinet session.

    The government Tuesday night raised the threat to "critical", its highest level, following an emergency Cabinet session.

  • Cabinet members head to Capitol Hill to defend Trump budget

    Cabinet members head to Capitol Hill to defend Trump budget

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:46 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:46:05 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:46 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:46:05 GMT

    Trump on Tuesday released a 10-year budget plan containing jarring, politically unrealistic cuts to the social safety net and a broad swath of domestic programs.

    Trump on Tuesday released a 10-year budget plan containing jarring, politically unrealistic cuts to the social safety net and a broad swath of domestic programs.

  • 'We can use peace': Trump and Pope Francis meet

    'We can use peace': Trump and Pope Francis meet

    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:45:49 GMT
    Wednesday, May 24 2017 9:45 AM EDT2017-05-24 13:45:49 GMT

    The meeting could provide powerful imagery to Catholic voters back in the United States as well as the possibility for conflict between a president and a pope who have not often seen eye-to-eye.

    The meeting could provide powerful imagery to Catholic voters back in the United States as well as the possibility for conflict between a president and a pope who have not often seen eye-to-eye.

Powered by Frankly