Linda DeLeon not seeking re-election on City Council - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

2/8/10

Linda DeLeon not seeking re-election on City Council

By Katie Bauer  - bio | email

LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - For the last 24 years Linda DeLeon has devoted her life to public service with the Lubbock Independent School Board and the Lubbock City Council.

"I think 24 years as a public servant is more than enough to give back to the community and its time for me to step down and let someone much younger step forward," said DeLeon.

On Monday DeLeon announced she will not run for re-election of district one.

For the last 6 years DeLeon has been a part of the dais and for 18 years before that, she was on the school board.

During her service, she was always known as someone who wasn't afraid to speak her mind.

"When I believe in something, I am going to speak up. I can't be intimidated, and I think that's why I had the support from my community and my district and have won by large margins because that's what they want they want someone that's not afraid," said DeLeon.

Last month DeLeon and her business All American Concrete were sued for an outstanding balance with another concrete company.

DeLeon's business closed last year, due to the inability to collect debts. She says this is one of the reasons for stepping down.

"Those are priorities that I have that I had to consider of all that, I have to look at things that have happened partially because of my politics here so that's part of it," said DeLeon.

But now DeLeon says it is time for someone else to step up and be the voice of district one. Councilman Floyd Price says DeLeon is not only a co-worker, but one of his very close friends.

"It's bitter sweet for me, I do not want to see her leave at this time, but I can understand 24 years in public life is a long time," said Price.

And now DeLeon says she is looking forward to spending more time with her family, and even though she is stepping down from elected office, she says she is not done working for Lubbock.

"She will be missed in the city council, she'll be missed in the district, too and people don't understand what you have until it's gone," said Price.

"Public service has been my life, so I'm hoping someone will have the passion that I've had for 24 years." said DeLeon.

Monday started the filing deadline for city council.  Right now no one has filed for DeLeon's seat, but former district one council member Victor Hernandez says he is running and will make it official soon.

©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Trump says more must be done to protect children

Wednesday, February 21 2018 1:47 AM EST2018-02-21 06:47:03 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 12:24 PM EST2018-02-21 17:24:18 GMT

On Wednesday, Trump will host a "listening session" that will include people impacted by mass shootings in Parkland, Columbine, Colorado and Newtown, Connecticut.

Cold as ice: Kirstie Alley and USA curling team trade Twitter jabs

Wednesday, February 21 2018 12:15 PM EST2018-02-21 17:15:25 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 12:22 PM EST2018-02-21 17:22:20 GMT
    Emmy award-winning actress Kirstie Alley got an ice-cold response after throwing shade on curling. (Source: Kirstie Alley/Twitter)Emmy award-winning actress Kirstie Alley got an ice-cold response after throwing shade on curling. (Source: Kirstie Alley/Twitter)

Time for action: Florida shooting survivors meet lawmakers

Wednesday, February 21 2018 1:43 AM EST2018-02-21 06:43:29 GMT
    Wednesday, February 21 2018 12:17 PM EST2018-02-21 17:17:28 GMT

Students who survived the Florida school shooting are preparing to flood the Capitol pushing to ban the assault-style rifle used to kill 17 people, vowing to make changes in the November election if they can't persuade lawmakers to change law now.