LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A Wolfforth family begins to pick up the pieces after a Tuesday morning fire forces them out of their home. Fire officials believe a heater in a dog kennel on the back porch may be to blame for the blaze.
Investigators believe this was a terrible accident and believe the Moore family was simply trying to keep their pets warm. "We go a phone call around 11:30 a.m. from our neighbor telling us our house was on fire," said Kristin Moore, she and her husband rushed home. "It was devastating. I didn't think it would be that bad," said Jason Moore.
From the outside their house looks fine, but it didn't take long for the flames to destroy what was on the inside. Many of their belongings are now charred and firefighters say there is extensive smoke damage. "We are thankful no one was here and it didn't go to the next houses but we did lose one dog out of five," said Moore.
Thirty firefighters from Wolfforth and West Carlisle battled the blaze that started on the back porch from the alley. Wolfforth Fire and EMS Deputy Chief Lance Barrett says pretty much everything was destroyed. "A couple of dog houses and they forgot to turn the heat lamps off and somehow a heat lamp caught a blanket on fire which then knocked the glass door out and the fire got inside the house," said Barrett.
Tuesday afternoon crews started to board up the holes in the Moore's house. "Everyone has been so nice. We are thinking everyone should be at work but they are here helping us," said Moore. Even though they cannot live in their own home, the Moores are still thankful. "The best thing no one person wise got hurt and that's all we can ask for," said Jason Moore.
"We built a home. This is where we made a family. You come home and it's messed up," said Kristin Moore and her husband told her it would be okay because things can be replaced.
Deputy Chief Barrett wants to remind everyone there will be more chilly nights and that you can never be too careful to turn everything off.
©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.