Clovis man faces 13 years for biting off a man's nose - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

3/15/10

Clovis man faces 13 years for biting off a man's nose

Source: Clovis Police Department Source: Clovis Police Department

CLOVIS, NM (KCBD) - A Clovis man was found guilty of Aggravated Burglary and Aggravated Battery by a Curry County Jury for biting a large portion of a victim's nose off during a violent altercation.

According to District Attorney Matthew Chandler the incident occurred on April 19, 2009, when Joey Maes, age 36, was asked to leave a social gathering in Clovis. Shortly after leaving the residence, Maes returned and kicked in the front door of the home, ran into the kitchen, grabbed a knife and began threatening the occupants.

A few people attempted to subdue Maes while another person called 911. Clovis Police Department responded to the call and found that Maes had already left the area. Several witnesses told police that one man tried to take control of the knife that Maes was holding and during the struggle Maes bit the end of the man's nose off.

Officers found the nose laying on a cutting-board in the residence where the incident occurred. Shortly thereafter, the victim presented himself to the Plains Regional Medical Center for treatment.

A Curry County jury deliberated for less than twenty minutes before returning with guilty verdicts for the Aggravated Burglary and Aggravated Battery charges. A sentencing hearing will be set in the next ninety days, where Joey Maes will face a maximum sentence of thirteen (13) years in the New Mexico State Penitentiary.

©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved.

  • Local News on KCBD.comNewsMore>>

  • Next Minneapolis police chief tasked with changing culture

    Next Minneapolis police chief tasked with changing culture

    Saturday, July 22 2017 1:49 AM EDT2017-07-22 05:49:17 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:53 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:53:39 GMT

    Minneapolis police chief says she wants to let 'fresh set of leadership eyes' be in charge of department, resigns amid criticism over shooting of Australian woman who had called 911.

    Minneapolis police chief says she wants to let 'fresh set of leadership eyes' be in charge of department, resigns amid criticism over shooting of Australian woman who had called 911.

  • Trump's new message man deletes inconvenient tweets

    Trump's new message man deletes inconvenient tweets

    Saturday, July 22 2017 4:20 PM EDT2017-07-22 20:20:31 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:52 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:52:25 GMT

    One of Anthony Scaramucci's first acts after accepting President Donald Trump's offer to be the new White House communications director was to apologize to Trump.

    One of Anthony Scaramucci's first acts after accepting President Donald Trump's offer to be the new White House communications director was to apologize to Trump.

  • Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Trump: USS Ford is '100,000-ton message to the world'

    Saturday, July 22 2017 3:30 AM EDT2017-07-22 07:30:57 GMT
    Saturday, July 22 2017 8:52 PM EDT2017-07-23 00:52:10 GMT

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

    President Donald Trump will help commission the USS Gerald R. Ford, a $12.9 billion warship.

Powered by Frankly