LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The Children's Home of Lubbock is cleaning up after a fire ripped through one of the cottages. One of the main missions of the children's home is to provide adoption and children services to families in need.
Late Wednesday, a fire broke out in Cottage 5, where a couple of teenage girls were staying.
The majority of the damage was to the cottage's kitchen, but the good news is there were no residents or staff injured and everybody made it out safely.The president of the children's home tells KCBD NewsChannel 11, he is very thankful that the smoke detectors worked properly and were able to give those sleeping an early warning to get out.
The Lubbock Fire Department believes the dishwasher shorted out and started the blaze.When they responded to the scene, flames were coming out the windows, but they were able to get it under control in about five minutes, and were able to save the structure.
Insurance adjustors will be there on Monday, the Lubbock Fire Department estimates the damage to cost around $40,000.
To donate: http://www.childshome.org/
©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.