LUBBOCK, Texas – The No. 13 Texas Tech men's tennis team had its 15-match winning streak come to an end as the Red Raiders lost a tough match to No. 5 Texas, 4-3, on Saturday afternoon at the McLeod Tennis Center.
Texas (19-2/3-0 Big 12), who is very strong in doubles play, won two of the three matches to claim the doubles points. Tech's (17-2/0-1 Big 12) only win came at No. 3 as Vitor Manzini and David Gonzalez beat No. 56 Jean Anderson and Daniel Whitehead, 9-8 (5).
Tech won four of the six opening sets to start singles play, however, the Longhorns won the first match at No. 1 as No. 10 Dimitar Kutrovsky def. No. 6 Raony Carvalho, 6-4, 6-0, to take a 2-0 lead. The Red Raiders got on the board next with a win by No. 72 Gonzalo Escobar as he dropped No. 18 Ed Corrie, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 2.
The remaining four matches went into a third set. Tech knotted the score at 2-2 as Rafael Garcia beat No. 82 Kellen Damico, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3, but Texas was able to win the next two matches at No. 4 and 5, to clinch the victory. Tech's Raphael Pfister was up 5-4 in the third set when Vasko Mladenov retired the match, giving Pfister a 7-5, 4-6, 5-4 win.
"This one stings a lot as it was so close," said head coach Tim Siegel. "We had so many opportunities especially when we were up 6-3, 4-2, at No. 4 – it's tough to get away from that. I am proud of our team. They fed off of the great crowd and I really appreciate everyone coming out to support us. We took the No. 5 team in the country to the very end. Texas is great team and is very well coached."
Tech will return to action on Fri., April 9, as it hosts No. 37 Nebraska at 6:30 p.m., and No. 12 Texas A&M on Sun., April 11, at 12 p.m.
#5 Texas 4, #13 Texas Tech 3
McLeod Tennis Center
Doubles (order of finish: 2, 1, 3)
- #6 Kutrovsky/Zavala (UT) def. #20 Carvalho/Garcia (TTU), 8-5
- #18 Damico/Corrie (UT) def. #40 Escobar/Stabile (TTU), 8-5
- Manzini/David Gonzalez (TTU) def. #56 Anderson/Daniel Whitehead (UT), 9-8 (5)
Singles (order of finish: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6)
- #10 Dimitar Kutrovsky (UT) def. #6 Raony Carvalho (TTU), 6-4, 6-0
- #72 Gonzalo Escobar (TTU) def. #18 Ed Corrie (UT), 6-3, 6-4
- Rafael Garcia (TTU) def. #82 Kellen Damico (UT), 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Jean Anderson (UT) def. Andre Stabile (TTU), 3-6, 7-5, 6-0
- #81 Josh Zavala (UT) def. Vitor Manzini (TTU), 4-6, 6-4, 6-4
- Raphael Pfister (TTU) def. Vasko Mladenov (UT), 7-5, 4-6, 5-4, retired