By Tiffany Pelt - email
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - Tuesday night a local father and son are thankful to be alive after narrowly escaping their SUV bursting into flames in south Lubbock.
Around 7:45 a.m. father of two James Stumm was driving his seven-year-old son Jacob to school in their 2002 Yukon when his son noticed smoke coming from inside the vehicle. Stumm said he pulled into the Village Center parking lot at 82nd street and Quaker to check it out.
Stumm then unplugged his IPod adapter from the cigarette lighter where the smoke started.
"Then when I opened the door I guess the fresh air flamed the spark in there, and from that point from a little spark to maybe three minutes later the vehicle was fully engulfed," he said.
Barely escaping the fire, Stumm said several small explosions went off inside the burning Yukon.
"It was a little more than scary. It happened so fast it scared me to death. There were parts that flew past the Starbucks and thankfully it didn't hit a car, didn't hit a window, and didn't hit a person," he said. No one was injured by the explosions.
The flames went so high parking lot surveillance cameras were destroyed. All that was left of the Yukon was a charred metal frame. "The tailgate actually melted away. It just ended up as a puddle on the parking lot," he said.
Stumm said even though the Yukon is a total loss, there were a few blessings.
"I'm thankful that my son and I are okay, and I'm thankful it wasn't my wife that was driving who would have had our younger son and would have had to literally unfasten him. So there are little blessings that I'm thankful for. The car - the car is replaceable," he said.
The Lubbock Fire Marshal's office said they are unsure if the IPod adapter malfunctioned or if there was an electrical shortage in the Yukon's power port that started the fire.
Copyright 2010 KCBD. All rights reserved.