Red Raiders beat Texas State 2-0, off to best start since 2006

LUBBOCK, Texas Getting its second-straight shutout, the Texas Tech soccer team defeated Texas State, 2-0, on Sunday evening as 1,285 fans were in attendance.

The win marked the first time since 2006 and the first time in the Tom Stone era that the Red Raiders have started the season 2-0 and with two-straight shutouts.

"We knew it was import to start 2-0," said Stone. "We were committed in these two games to take an undefeated record on the road next week. I think Casey McCall's leadership is just the steady rock for us. She is tough and great in the air for us and one of the best players in the air in the conference. Her leadership and Whitney Sharpe's attacking skill down the right have really stood out for us so far."

Texas State (0-1) looked to score first in the sixth minute, 30 yards out, but the shot went wide. The Bobcats took another shot-on-goal from 20 yards out in the 13th minute but senior goalkeeper Colleen Pitts made the save.

In the 24th minute, the Red Raiders were denied when freshman Jessica Fuston banged her header off the post from freshman Jessica Disabella's cross.

Four minutes later Tech had three shots in rapid succession in the box with two shots-on-goal by Fuston and sophomore Haley Fowle,r but both were saved.

The Red Raiders then got on the board in the 30th minute as junior Taylor Lytle got the ball from freshman Mallory Yacullo and dribbled 18 yards out past three defenders and placed the ball in the lower right corner of the net.

In the last minute of the first half, sophomore Tiffini Smith got a cross from junior Sharpe but the shot went wide right.

Tech took a 1-0 lead into the half.

The second half started well for Texas State as it got a free kick in the 53rd minute that was struck well on frame but Pitts jumped up and tipped the ball over the cross ball for the save.

However, Tech responded quickly as sophomore Sarah Ellison picked up the ball inside the attacking half and played it forward to sophomore Dawn Ward who turned and ran at the back line. Ellison then overlapped Ward and was on the receiving end of a soft slip pass from Ward. Ellison calmly placed the ball in the far side of the net for the 2-0 lead.

The Red Raiders threatened again with 26 minutes left as a sliding Fuston took a cross from Lytle that went wide.

With 16 minutes left, Disabella took a shot 25 yards out that went off the top crossbar. Fuston was in the box as the ball came off the crossbar and attempted to head it in, but the shot went high.

The shutout marked the fifth in Pitts' career moving her one shutout shy of being tied for fourth on Tech's career shutout list.

Tech will now hit the road for four-straight matches starting this week at Northwestern State on Fri., Aug. 27, at 7 p.m. and again at Rice on Sun., Aug. 29, at 7 p.m.