Texas woman dies of flesh-eating bacteria - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Texas woman dies of flesh-eating bacteria

GALVESTON, TX (CNN) - A Texas woman has died from flesh-eating bacteria and cooking may have led up to the deadly infection which killed the Galveston mom and grandmother in just a matter of days.

Ginger Ling lived to cook. Sadly, cooking is what ultimately may have led to her death. "We are going to miss her a lot, it was very fast a lot faster than we thought, we didn't know," said Tammy Bage, Ginger's daughter.

With her father by her side, Ginger's daughter explained what happened. Last Sunday evening, the former Bolivar School cafeteria worker was cleaning fish at home before a family dinner.

Flounder and stony crabs from a fish market, and lobster from a grocery store.  She's worked with fish all her life with all seafood. But this time, the mother of four and grandmother of seven, who suffered from arthritis, hit her arm on the kitchen faucet. "It was more of a scratch up her arm, here," said Bage.

Later that night, she complained of burning. By Monday morning, Ginger was in the emergency room. "It had swollen up just several times its normal size."

Her arm was black and purple from her knuckle to the top of her arm. She died Tuesday from a flesh eating bacteria. While it hasn't been confirmed, her condition may have been caused by vibrio. 

Vibrio is a bacteria. It can get into your body if contaminated seawater gets into a wound or if someone eats contaminated seafood. It's especially dangerous for those with auto immune disorders.

"Her skin was so thin anyway from the rheumatoid arthritis and all the steroids, and stuff that she had. you know we could scratch ourselves and it would be no big deal, but it could be, it would be bad for her."

It was. But her family knows Ginger Ling spent her last few days doing what she loves most, cooking for her family.

© 2010 Cable News Network. Turner Broadcasting System, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Powered by Frankly