Double Shooting in Lubbock Leaves One Dead - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock


Double Shooting in Lubbock Leaves One Dead

Annie Pena walked out of her house Monday evening, just like she's always done for three years. But this time was different. Annie saw a 60-year-old man pointing a rifle to his head. "He did this," Annie said as she showed how the suspect was pointing the gun to his forehead.

"The investigation revealed the man was the grandfather of the children that lived at 2113 Duke Street. His daughter and son-in-law are the parents," said Tom Mann, Lubbock Assistant Police Chief.

Police say the 60-year-old suspect shot his son-in-law in the chest, then came outside and reloaded his rifle by the trunk of his car and turned the gun on himself. Witnesses say the suspect, who's name has not been released, was lying on the ground after attempting suicide.

"You have blood on your hands," said NewsChannel 11 to one of the witnesses. "I did first-aid. I went up there and asked the lady what his name was and she said Leroy and I used my towel to stop the bleeding," said Annie who's also medically trained.

Police say the grandfather was apparently upset with his son-in-law, and that was the motive of the shooting. "There was a disagreement over disciplining the children and the grandfather took a shotgun into the house and shot his son-in-law," said Mann.

At the time of the shooting, several young children were outside playing and said they ran for cover when they saw the rifle. "It was scary. I'm shaking right now," said neighbor and 13-year-old Marcus Carroll.

The son-in-law died. The older man is in intensive care at University Medical Center. Mann says the suspect is expected to recover. And this double shooting will be turned over to the district attorney's office as soon as possible.

Police say both the daughter and mother were inside the house along with the victim's four children. They range in age from six to 14-years-old. No one else was hurt and names have not been released.

Powered by Frankly