By Karin McCay| email
Edited by Jordyn Nelson
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – Trick-or-treaters in costume, wearing make-up, and walking outside with jack-o-lanterns and other Halloween decorations is a potentially a dangerous combination.
A burn and trauma surgeon, Dr. Philip Fidler, wants this story about a 7 year old in Washington last year, to be a safety reminder for trick-or-treaters this year. "They heard some shouting and screaming, and it turns out this boy's gown from his costume was very drapy, from a harry potter costume, caught fire, and he was wearing a mask, and he touched his face, and wound up with very deep burns to his hands and his face. He was in the hospital for many months. He required a dozen operations."
The US Consumer Product Safety Commission says costumes should be flame resistant, so that if it brushes against a flame, it will self-extinguish. The CPSC said that homemade costumes can be really dangerous because a cotton sheet, for example, can go up in flames in a matter of seconds.
Health experts recommend that homeowners help prevent trick-or-treating tragedies by using battery operated lights in jack-o-lanterns, instead of candles.
Copyright 2010 KCBD. All rights reserved