By Tiffany Pelt - email
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – The four-year-old boy killed in a house fire will be put to rest Wednesday at 2p.m. with funeral services at the St. Joseph Catholic Church and burial following at the Peaceful Gardens.
There will also be a Rosary Tuesday at 7 p.m. for Jeremiah Ramirez at the Calvillo Funeral Chapel.
Four-year-old Jeremiah died Saturday night after a fire broke out in his bedroom. His three-year-old brother Joseph was also in the room. He is still in critical condition, and family members say he has second degree burns on his face and arms and cannot breathe on his own.
The family also lost their home and belongings. There is a fund set up in Jeremiah Ramirez's name at Wells Fargo Bank. You can make donations at any branch. The Calvillo Funeral home is also taking donations to help pay for the funeral expenses.
If you would like to donate clothing or supplies to the family, Joseph wears size 3T, the infant wears 6 months, and is also in need of pampers and milk. Jesse wears an XL shirt, 36" waist and 29" length pant, and a size 8 in shoes. Crucifica wears about a size 16 in women's and wears 7 1/2 in shoes. To donate these items email email@example.com with your contact information to be passed along to the family.
The Crosbyton High School National Honor Society is also holding a brisket dinner benefit. Jeremiah's mother Crucifica Castillo is a Crosbyton High School graduation. Each plate is $7 and includes brisket, potato salad, beans, bread, dessert and a drink. The dinner will be on Thursday from 6p.m. to 7p.m. Plates can be purchased from any NHS member or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org .
Family members say his mother Crucifica Castillo had the flu and put the kids to bed early, but she was woken up by her six-month –old kicking and screaming because of smoke.
After pulling her three boys out of the burning house, they were rushed to UMC. Crucifica and the six-month-old baby are ok with minor smoke inhalation. The boy's father Jesse Ramirez and their only sister, Jeneava Pena, were not at the house during the fire.
The Fire Marshal's office ruled the fire an accident and said one of the two boys could've started the fire but that they will never know what exactly happened. They also say there were no working smoke detectors in the home.