LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - The South Plains chapter of the Red Cross is urging people to check their smoke detectors.
This comes after another house fire in Lubbock. Bill Curnow with the Red Cross tells us a home near 13th and Kewanee did not have working smoke detectors when flames broke out Monday afternoon. He says a little boy who lives at the home was doing homework when he saw the fire around 4:30 p.m.
The boy ran and woke up his father, who had worked all night. Both escaped without injury. Curnow says it has been a busy few weeks for the Red Cross. They have assisted seven families in just the past two weeks.
"Several of the homes we've been to have had smoke detectors, but so far we have yet to go to a home this month that has had functioning smoke detectors," said Curnow. "A dead smoke detector is just as bad as not having one at all."
Curnow says they have assisted five families in Lubbock, one in Plainview and one in Levelland this month.
Copyright 2010 KCBD. All rights reserved.