By James Clark | email
LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) – A Ropesville family is homeless after a Tuesday morning fire that gutted their home and killed two dogs. Firefighters were called out at about 5:00 AM to the 600 Block of Ellington Avenue. The Red Cross noted three adults and four children who will get up to three nights of housing assistance in a Lubbock hotel. The kids range in age from 3 to 14.
The Ropesville Police Department describes the house as "not livable." Faulty wiring is possibly to blame, and the fire started near the family's Christmas tree.
The Police Chief also says local churches and schools are already starting efforts to help the family. Firefighters from Ropesville, Levelland and Smyer all responded.
According to the Red Cross, there was not a working smoke detector in the home. The Lubbock-based chapter of the American Red Cross has assisted 24 children and 34 adults in November with emergency help, mostly due to fires.
KCBD NewsChannel 11 is working to find more information on whether or not a local bank fund has been set up for the family.
Copyright 2010 KCBD. All rights reserved.