By Michael Slother - email
BROWNFIELD, TX (KCBD) - A Thursday morning fire destroys a mobile home and leaves an elderly woman without a home just two days before Christmas.
The Brownfield Fire Department says one of the women inside the mobile home used an oxygen tank. When her tube got too close to a space heater, it ruptured. Oxygen spread, causing the fire from the space heater to get out of control.
Firefighter Randy Martin said it took 3 trucks, 8 other crew members, and 3 hours to put out the fire. "The flame was already there from the propane bottle and the little heater they were using to heat the house," Martin continued. "Make sure you keep things clear of your heaters," he said.
Samantha Posey woke up to find her Grandmother Patricia's house engulfed in flames.
"I was scared she was still in the house," she said.
"There were 4 or 5 explosions from propane bottles and oxygen bottles from in the house," Martin told us.
Samantha also said she heard the loud noises. "A big boom shook our house. So we get up and go outside and saw right here flames curling over," she said.
Patricia and her sister, who was visiting from out of town, survived. Patricia's husband wasn't at the home. Their dogs and mobile home didn't make it. "It was a total loss, there's a third still standing, but everything inside is burnt," Martin continued. "There's nothing left to salvage."
Instead of new clothes and toys for Christmas, the scene was full of charred ones. Patricia's daughter Danielle said the fire may have ruined the home, but it won't ruin their holiday. "We're gonna be a family. Christmas is coming and that's what is important. Material things can be replaced; family can't. We're all grateful this year."
"I was relieved. A house can be replaced, but my grandma cant," said Samantha.
Red Cross did respond to the fire and as of now, no fund has been set up for the woman.
©2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved