LUBBOCK, TX (KCBD) - A close call earlier this morning for a Shallowater family after their chimney caught on fire around 7:30 a.m. in the 1200 block of North F.M. 179.
Firefighters from Carlisle and New Deal were dispatched to back up crews from Shallowater. When crews got to the scene there were reports of flames coming from the roof. In all, almost 35 firefighters were able to keep the flames from spreading into the house.
"The flare was contained to the chimney, the attic, a little bit down the wall of the fireplace," said Captain Ed Scherer of the Shallowater Fire Department. :"There is light damage inside the house but basically the house was untouched."
Crews ended up tearing down part of the chimney to reach the flames in the attic. No one was hurt but there is some smoke damage to the house.
Copyright 2010 KCBD NewsChannel 11. All rights reserved.