Lady Raiders Win in Double OT Over Kansas State

LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD - TTU) – Chynna Brown hit the game-winning layup with 00.1 left on the clock in double overtime as the Texas Tech women's basketball team defeated Kansas State, 68-66, on Saturday afternoon at the United Spirit Arena.

The first half saw five lead changes as K-State (11-5/1-2 Big 12) jumped out to a 9-3 lead over Tech (16-1/3-0 Big 12) in the first six minutes. The Lady Raiders didn't get on the scoreboard until the 16:03 mark on a free throw by Kierra Mallard and got their first field goal at 14:43 on a layup by Jordan Barncastle.

At the eight-minute mark, Teena Wickett hit 1-of-2 free throws to cut the Wildcats' lead to one at 13-12. A layup by Wickett at 7:19 gave Tech its first lead of the game, 14-13.

The final lead change of the half came when Tech's Christine Hyde made a layup with 4:33 remaining. The Lady Raiders biggest advantage of the first period was five points twice, both in the last 25 seconds. Tech was up 26-24 with 15 seconds to go and Mary Bokenkamp nailed a three-pointer to give the Lady Raiders a 29-24 lead at the half.

Tech started off the second half on a 6-0 run as it went up 35-24 on a jumper by Brown with 15:08 to play in regulation. But the Wildcats then went on a run of their own over the next three and half minutes as they outscored the Lady Raiders 13-0 and took back the lead at 37-35.

Brown ended Tech's scoring drought by sinking a three-pointer at 11:13 to give the Lady Raiders a one-point lead, 38-37.

Tech continued to its lead until K-State's Brittany Chambers made a layup with three seconds left to tie the game at 50-50 and send it into overtime. The Lady Raiders were 1-for-6 from the charity stripe line the last 33 seconds of regulation.

In the first overtime period, Tech won the tip and scored a layup right away by Wickett. From there, K-State outscored Tech 12-1 to go up by nine points, 62-53, with just over two minutes remaining. The Lady Raiders never gave up as they scored nine-straight points – a free throw by Monique Smalls, a layup by Wickett and then huge back-to-back three-pointers, the first by Barncastle with 32 seconds left and then the next one by Bokenkamp with 15 seconds to go to tie the score at 62-62 and send the contest into double overtime. K-State missed four free throw attempts in the last 47 seconds of the first overtime.

In the second overtime, the Wildcats won the tip but neither team scored until the 3:32 mark when Mariah White hit a jumper to put K-State up 64-62. Bokenkamp got another big three-pointer at 3:18 to give Tech a one-point advantage. With 1:02 to go, Chambers made a layup to take back the lead for KSU at 66-65. Brown then missed a short awkward jumper but K-State knocked the ball out-of-bounds. Wickett was fouled driving in the lane and made 1-of-2 free throws to tie the score at 66-66. The Wildcats went the length of the floor and Chambers missed a jumper with 14 seconds left and Wickett scrambled for the ball. The officials called it a jump ball with the possession arrow in favor of Tech. Tech got the ball into Brown's hands and she connected on the winning layup with 00.1 seconds left to give the Lady Raiders the win.

Brown led Tech with 13 points while Mallard had 12 points and a season-high 14 rebounds and Wickett added 11 points and tied her career-high 13 rebounds. Barncastle chipped in 10 points. Bokenkamp finished a perfect 3-for-3 from the field – all three-pointers – for nine points.

Tech shot 39 percent (23-59) from the field to K-State's 40.3 percent (29-72). The Lady Raiders outrebounded the Wildcats 50-39.

The Lady Raiders hit the road for two-straight games starting with a trip to Norman, Okla., to face No. 15/14 Oklahoma on Wed., Jan. 19, at 7 p.m..

Source: TTU

Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.