After spending a week on the run, an accused rapist, who was let out of jail by accident, is back behind bars. Carlos Ferrer's brief waltz with freedom is now over.
On a week when the national news was dominated by talk of an upcoming rape trial, a local rape trial had to be postponed, because the accused was on the loose.
Sheriff's deputies mistakenly released him from jail, just five days before his trial was set to begin. But, Ferrer's illegitimate freedom has now ended. "As of 12:45 this (Wednesday) afternoon, Carlos Ferrer, who was mistakenly released last Wednesday, July 30th, has been captured," says Captain Kelly Rowe.
The sheriff's office says it was piecing together credible information all morning on Ferrer's whereabouts. By noon, they had pinpointed this location. By one o'clock, they had their man. "He was arrested without incident. He's now back in custody at the Lubbock County Jail," says Rowe.
But, what remains in question is how this suspected gangster, who allegedly raped a 15-year-old Slaton girl on the tailgate of a pickup truck, could have been mistakenly let go?
The victim's family members were unwilling to go on camera, but one did tell us earlier this week they were quote "pissed" about the jail house mix-up.
Capt. Rowe says it was human error, and there will be some 'in house' changes so this kind of incident doesn't repeat itself. "We will discuss what needs to be changed in order to prevent it from happening again."
The sheriff's office doesn't anticipate filing additional charges against Ferrer. His trial has been postponed. No word yet on when it will be rescheduled.