LUBBOCK (KCBD) – No. 15 Texas Tech (3-0) won the doubles point and added singles victories from juniors Raony Carvalho and Rafael Garcia, and sophomore Raphael Pfister in a 4-0 win over LSU on Saturday at the McLeod Tennis Center.
The match was played as part of the annual ITA Kick-Off Weekend. California defeated Auburn by a 4-2 margin in the other match at the McLeod Tennis Center on Saturday afternoon. Texas Tech and California will go head-to-head on Sunday at 2 p.m. with the winner advancing to the Feb. 18-21 ITA National Team Indoor Championship in Seattle, Wash. Auburn will meet LSU at 11 a.m.
Texas Tech got off to a fast start in doubles and quickly secured the doubles point. Raony Carvalho and Rafael Garcia downed LSU No.1 duo of Neal Skupski and Sebastian Carlsson, 8-1. Texas Tech's No.3 tandem, David Gonzalez and Raphael Pfister, stopped LSU's Tom Knights and Mark Bowtell 8-3 to secure the doubles point. LSU won at No. 2 doubles with Olivier Borsos and Roger Anderson's 8-3 Vitor Manzini and Gonzalo Escobar.
Red Raider Rafael Garcia struck first at No. 2 singles with a convincing 6-0, 6-1 win over Mark Bowtell. Teammate Raony Carvalho followed Garcia's lead with a 6-4, 6-2 score against Olivier Borsos, 6-4, 6-2. Texas Tech's third singles point and the match win was secured with Raphael Pfister's 6-2, 6-3 victory over Tom Knights. The remaining matches were called given that the match's outcome had been determined.
Texas Tech head coach Tim Siegel
"We got off to a very good start in doubles and I thought we played very well today – especially at No. 1 doubles.
We had good singles play at all positions today. LSU is a quality team and I'm really pleased with the result.
Tomorrow we play a very good Cal team at 2 p.m. and it will be an exciting, quality match.
It will be a match tennis fans will enjoy watching."
ITA Kick-Off Weekend – 1st Round
#15 Texas Tech 4, LSU 0
Doubles – Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. Raony Carvalho/Rafael Garcia (TT) def. #27 Neal Skupski/Sebastian Carlsson, (LSU), 8-1
2. Olivier Borsos/Roger Anderson (LSU) def. Vitor Manzini/Gonzalo Escobar (TT), 8-3
3. David Gonzalez/Raphael Pfister (TT) def. Tom Knights/Mark Bowtell (LSU), 8-3
Singles – Order of Finish: 3, 2, 6
1. #20 Gonzalo Escobar (TT) vs. Neal Skupski (LSU) - 6-2, 3-3, susp.
2. Raony Carvalho (TT) def. Olivier Borsos (LSU) - 6-4, 6-2
3. Rafael Garcia (TT) def. Mark Bowtell (LSU) – 6-0, 6-1
4. Vitor Manzini (TT) vs. Sebastian Carlsson (LSU) – 7-5, 1-1 – susp.
5. Gabriel Wanderley (TT) vs. Julien Gauthier (LSU) – 0-6, 6-2, 1-0 – susp.
6. Raphael Pfister (TT) def. Tom Knights (LSU) – 6-2, 6-3
Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.