Stabbing at Salvation Army sends one man to the hospital - KCBD NewsChannel 11 Lubbock

Stabbing at Salvation Army sends one man to the hospital

By Christie Post - email

LUBBOCK,TX (KCBD) - Lubbock Police responded to another stabbing at the Salvation Army Shelter Friday morning. The stabbing is the second incident in less than a month. It's an incident that has some shelter residents shaken up.

44-year-old Stacy Jackson is jailed for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. He was arrested after he fled the scene.

Police say Jackson got into a fight with 20-year-old Alexander Resendez inside the shelter Friday around 6 o'clock. Then, Jackson pulled a knife. And the fight escalated into the hallway where blood trailed down the hall.

Resendez suffered cuts to his head and arm. He was taken to University Medical Center for treatment, but has since been released.

"We are not going to close our doors because of this. We are going to continue to operate the shelter," said Captain Mike Morton, The Salvation Army.

The Salvation Army said this is the first stabbing they have had inside the building since the shelter opened in 1959. But it's not the first incident outside on their property.

Police responded to an incident at shelter back on January 14th. That's when two men got into a fight just outside the shelter. The victim suffered serious injuries. The suspect fled, but police captured 33-year-old Ervin Settles. He remains jailed, charged with aggravated assault.

Right now the non-profit will put up extra cameras inside and outside the shelter. "We are not going to install security cameras inside the sleeping areas and this particular incident occurred in a sleeping area," said Captain Morton.

The Army will add signs that say no weapons or alcohol in the building, because the sign they have is only in Spanish. Another possibility they are looking at is searching people entering for the night.

"Let's remove the spark that led to the issue that caused this to get to this point," said Captain Morton.

"We are going to continue to operate the shelter. We believe the shelter to be safe in most instances. We found an incident that evidently slipped through the cracks. So we are going to take our procedures to kind of tighten up the net and make it as secure and safe as we possible can," said Captain Mike Morton, The Salvation Army.

Police said they will continue to patrol and watch the area to ensure the safety of everyone at the Salvation Army.

"We have to keep a close eye on it and look out for that type of situation," said Captain Morton.

Copyright 2011 KCBD. All rights reserved.

Powered by Frankly